The Haakaa breast pump is one of the many manual style breast pumps on the market. However, to call it a "breast pump" is a bit misleading. Unlike a traditional breast pump, the Haakaa breast pump is really more of a "milk collection device." The Haakaa breast pump design and milk collection system is unique and sets it apart from "traditional" breast pumps.
Selecting a breast pump is not an easy decision. There is no way to “try before you buy.” So, it can be helpful to understand what kinds of breast pumps are out there and how all breast pumps work.
What Is a Breast Pump?
A breast pump is something that many breastfeeding mothers choose to purchase or rent while they are nursing. They may use it to:
There are three different types of breast pumps: electrical, battery operated, and manual. They all work to express milk in the same way. A woman places the breast shield over the nipple. The pump creates a suction that produces a vacuum. The suction alternates on and off, which creates and breaks the vacuum. That on and off vacuum mimics a baby nursing, triggering your breasts to letdown (release) the milk from the breast. The expressed milk then collects in either a bag or a bottle.
How does a manual breast pump work?
Manual breast pumps work by squeezing a handle to create suction. While there are different types of handles, they all function the same way. Squeezing the handle creates the suction. Releasing the handle breaks the suction. You control how fast or how slow the suction cycle repeats. You can also control how hard the suction is by adjusting how hard you squeeze the handle. This allows you to control the comfort level of the suction.
Why choose a manual breast pump?
There are several reasons you might purchase a manual breast pump. Manual breast pumps are almost always less expensive than electric or battery pumps. For example, the Haakaa breast pump costs between $12 and $25. An electric pump can cost anywhere from $200 to $500 if you buy it.
Because manual breast pumps do not have motors, they are more lightweight and portable than electric pumps. Many of them fit right in a diaper bag or a purse. The lack of a motor also makes manual breast pumps more quiet and discreet than electric breast pumps.
Manual breast pumps like the Haakaa breast pump are also suitable for traveling. You can easily use one in a car without having to worry about how to power the pump. They are also useful in the event there is a power outage since you can still operate the pump.
Some mothers also use a manual pump to pump one breast while the baby is nursing on the other. This can be useful if you have an overabundant milk supply and want to catch any excess that leaks. It is also helpful if you have an infection in one breast and are unable to nurse from it for a time.
The Haakaa breast pump comes from a family-owned company based in New Zealand. Currently, the only Haakaa breast pump is a manual breast pump. Created with environmentally friendly materials like bamboo and natural rubber, the Haakaa breast pump and accessories are also BPA, PVC, and phthalate-free.
The Haakaa breast pump is available in a four-ounce size and a five-ounce size. This size refers to the collection bottle at the bottom of the pump. The bottom of the collection bottle may have a suction base at the bottom, allowing you to stand the pump upright to give you an extra measure of assurance that you won’t accidentally spill it.
While there are older and newer models of the Haakaa breast pump, the features are still the same. All Haakaa breast pumps come pre-assembled as one piece. You never have to take it apart to clean and sterilize it, then put it back together. The Haakaa breast pump is unique in that it does not have a lever-type handle. Instead, you squeeze the silicone collection bottle to create the suction.
How Do I Operate The Haakaa Breast Pump?
What makes the Haakaa breast pump is unique in that it does not operate like most manual breast pumps, requiring you to squeeze and release the handle to create and break the suction. This meant to mimic a baby nursing. However, you have to continue the squeeze and release cycle the entire time you are pumping.
The Haakaa breast pump does not require you to squeeze a handle. Instead, you squeeze the air out of the bottom of the collection container and position it on your breast. When you are satisfied with the placement, let go of the pump. This creates a gentle, consistent suction that draws the milk out of your breast into the collection container. When the container is full, break the suction by gently lifting the side of the breast shield with your finger to draw in some air.
Most customers have positive things to say about their Haakaa breast pump. Many applaud how easy it is to use and how effectively it collects their milk. However, some reviews say that it can be a bit difficult to use as the pump doesn’t always hold the suction. This causes the pump to slide out of place.
A Haakaa breast pump will cost anywhere from $ for older models to $ for newer models. This price is for just the pump. Accessories will cost extra, although you can purchase kits that include the breast pump along with some additional accessories.
- 2019 New Model. Award winning, best-selling, nursing mom and lactation consultant recommended.
- Patented design. Pat. No. USD810,925S. Distributed by Haakaa USA. Counterfeits will be removed by Amazon.
- Material: 100% food grade silicone. Soft and comfortable. BPA PVC and Phthalate Free
How We Conducted Our Comparison
For this review, we looked at price and user reviews. User reviews include how easy users say it is to operate the pump.
Comparison to Other Brands
We only compared manual breast pumps and did not include battery-powered or electric pumps. We only compared the pumps, not available accessories.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE: This lightweight manual breast pump has an ergonomic easy-express handle to reduce hand fatigue....
- IDEAL PUMPING: This pump features dual mode pumping & includes 2 flange sizes (standard 25 millimeter & large 30.5...
- CONVENIENT & HYGIENIC: Lansinoh breast pumps allow you to pump directly into our pre-sterilized Lansinoh breastmilk...
The Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump is rated 4.2 out of 5 stars and costs between $ and $. Made in the USA, this BPS and BPA-free breast pump was the brain-child of a mom. It includes two different sizes of breast shields and a bottle stand to hold the entire pump after you’ve pumped. It has two modes (letdown and expression) to mimic a nursing baby more closely.
Priced between $ and $, the Philips Avent Manual Comfort Breast Pump has a 4.1 out of 5-star rating. This BPA-free breast pump has a unique design that allows you to lean back while you pump instead of leaning forward allowing you to pump more comfortably. It is designed using a minimal amount of parts, so there is less for you to clean and reassemble.
- EASY AND CONVENIENT PUMPING: Harmony is a manual pump that has been designed for the occasional time when you’re away...
- EASY TO USE: Manual controlled vacuum allows you to adjust the suction for the most optimal comfort level and efficient...
- RESEARCH-BASED TECHNOLOGY: Unique to Medela breast pumps, this research-based and patented design allows mothers to pump...
With a 4.3 out of 5-star rating, the Medela Manual Breast Pump will cost between $ and $. The BPA pump rotates 270 degrees, allowing you to figure out the best way to sit in comfort while pumping. It also gives you the freedom to place the pump and handle exactly where you need for the most effective experience.
- MOST VALUE MONEY BREAST MILK SRORE PUMP - Silicone Breast Pumps to collect breast milk leaks and helpful for engorgement...
- BUMBLEBEE BREASTPUMP WITH SOFT USE - BumbleBee breast milk breast pump is made by food grade silicone. Bumblebee brand...
- BREASTFEED BABY IN ANY WHERE ANYTIME - Manual Breast Pump Lightweight and silicone manual breast pump set with 1 x...
The Bumblebee Breast Pump is BPA, PVC, and phthalate free. With a 4.4 out of 5-star rating, this pump costs between $ and $. It has a similar design to the Haakaa breast pump and works in the same way. However, this breast pump includes a carrying case.
- COMFORTABLE AND EASY TO USE: The breast pump's soft silicone shield fits comfortably for manual pumping. It massages and...
- ALL IN ONE KIT: The GEO Manual Breast Pump includes 1 manual breast pump with silicone shield, 2 slow flow bottle...
- CONVENIENT AND PORTABLE: The breast pump allows you to pump directly into the included feeding bottles to increase...
Priced between $ and $, the Geo Manual Breast Pump is rated 4.3 out of 5 stars and is microwave and top-rack dishwasher safe. This pump comes with two four-ounce collection bottles. However, many users report that you can use the pump with any collection bottle you already have.
- ★ 100% Spill-Proof And Portable Silicone Breast Pump / Breastmilk Saver – Comes with Patented Capsule, Pump Strap...
- ★ Silicone Manual Breast Pump collects "let-down" / breast milk leaks and relieves engorgement using pure natural...
- ★ Extremely Soft And Comfortable. High Quality Silicone breast pump. Unlike other silicone pumps that have pour spout,...
Rated 4.7 out of 5 stars, the NatureBond Silicone Breastfeeding is priced between $ and $. Made from BPA-free materials and FDA-grade silicone parts, the ergonomic handle is gentle on your hands while you operate the pump.
Our Final Thoughts on the Haakaa Breast Pump
Choosing a breast pump is a personal decision that largely rests on what works best for you. And, while there’s no way to know what will work until you use it, if you’ve decided a manual breast pump is the way to go, you will have several options to choose from. While it may not work for everyone, the passive collection method of the Haakaa breast pump may be the right choice for you.
Last update on 2021-01-18 at 04:27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API